This discussion will stem from a writing exercise. Here’s what I’d like you to do:
- Go for a 15 minute walk by yourself (no cell phones allowed). If you’d prefer to find a spot to sit indoors where there are people around (like a coffee shop or mall). That’s cool as well.
- Take in the sights, sounds, smells, and whatever else that may come about.
- Jot down the images that you see during these 15 minutes. You can write sentences, single words, or images.
- When you finish the walk or the 15-minute “stop, look, and listen” session begin the process of sorting through the imagery to create a poem. What connections could be made? What stuck out? Why did it stick out?
- Write a brief reflection on the process after completing the poem. What worked? What didn’t work? What was difficult about the process? Don’t feel like you have to answer every single reflective question. Just provide me with your thinking about the exercise.
- Minimum length is 100 words