1) Which of the following is best defined as a consciouslycoordinated social unit, composed of two or more people, whichfunctions on a relatively continuous basis to achieve a common goalor set of goals?
2) Over the past 2 decades, business schools have added requiredcourses on organizational design to many of their curricula. Whyhave they done this?
a. Managers no longer need technical skills in subjects such aseconomics and accounting to succeed.
b. There is an increased emphasis in controlling employee behaviorin the workplace.
c. Managers need to understand human behavior if they are to beeffective.
d. These skills enable managers to effectively lead human resourcesdepartments.
e. A manager with good people skills can help create a pleasantworkplace.
3) Robert Katz identified three essential skills that managers musthave to reach their goals. What are these skills?
a. technical, decisional and interpersonal
b. technical, human, and conceptual
c. interpersonal, informational and decisional
d. conceptual, communication and networking
e. human, informational and communication
4) __________ is a field of study that investigates the effect thatindividuals, groups, and structures have on behavior withinorganizations for the purpose of applying such knowledge towardimproving an organization’s effectiveness.
Human Resources Management
5) What do the fundamental consistencies underlying the behavior ofall individuals enable researchers to do?
a. observe human behavior
b. systematize human behavior
c. research human behavior
d. predict human behavior
e. detect human behavior
6) Which of the following is a generic term that covers a broadrange of feelings that people experience?
7) What term is used for intense feelings that are directed atsomeone or something?
8) If personality characteristics were completely dictated by__________, they would be fixed at
birth and no amount of experience could alter them.
9) Which of the following are classifications on the Myers-BriggsType Indicator?
10) Maria is dissatisfied with the way that her manager treats her.She has quit her job and found a new position with another firm.How has she expressed her dissatisfaction?
e. social voice
11) You quietly continue to do your work when you know things willnot improve. This is what type of response to dissatisfaction?
e. social voice
12) A group
a. generates positive synergy through coordinated effort
b. generates greater outputs with no increase in inputs
c. is two or more individuals interacting and interdependent
d. engages in collective work that requires joint effort
13) __________ results in a level of performance that is greaterthan the sum of the individual input.
14) What happens in the second stage of Tuckman’s five stage modelof group development?
a. Close relationships are developed.
b. The group demonstrates cohesiveness.
c. Intragroup conflict often occurs.
d. Groups disband.
15) Zach is devout and very active in his church. He is also a verydedicated employee. His manager offers him a promotion, but the newrole will require him to work Sundays. Zach would like thepromotion, but realizes that it would force him to miss some churchactivities. It is likely that Zach is experiencing which of thefollowing:
a. role conflict
b. role expectation
c. role perception
d. psychological conflict
16) Which role focuses on bringing about order and consistency bydrawing up formal plans?
none of the above
17) Which statement regarding leadership is true?
All leaders are managers.
Formal rights enable managers to lead effectively.
All managers are leaders.
All leaders are hierarchically superior to followers.
Nonsanctioned leadership is as important as or more important thanformal influence.
18) What are three situational criteria identified in the Fiedlermodel?
a. job requirements, position power, and leadership ability
b. charisma, influence, and leader-member relations
c. leader-member relations, task structure, and position power
d. task structure, leadership ability, and group conflict
e. emotional intelligence, group orientation, and employeestatus
19) The reconceptualization of the contingency model by Garcia andFiedler is called _____ theory.
b. cognitive resource
d. leadership recognition
e. cognitive dissonance
20) Which path-goal leadership style leads to greater satisfactionwhen tasks are ambiguous or stressful?
21) According the Path-Goal Theory, what leader is friendly andshows concern for the needs of followers?
the achievement-oriented leader
the directive leader
the laissez-faire leader
the participative leader
the supportive leader
22) Phrases such as “more cultural diversity,” “many new entrantswith inadequate skills,” and “increase in professionals” are allexamples of what force for change?
b. world politics
c. nature of the work force
d. social trends
23) What is a goal of planned change?
a. to change the forces of change
b. to alter the agents of change
c. to change employees’ responsibilities
d. to improve the ability to adapt to the environment
e. to alter the employees’ environment
24) Using covert influence to overcome resistance to change iscalled what?
25) If individuals resisting change are included in making changedecisions in an attempt to gain their support, what is thisapproach is called?
26) Which of the following is a characteristic of organizationalcontrol?
a. Formality orientation
b. Decision orientation
c. Team orientation
d. Managerial orientation
27) What term describes the key characteristic of organizationalcontrol that addresses the degree to which employees are expectedto exhibit precision?
a. accuracy orientation
c. attention to detail
28) Power is
a. a means for leaders to achieve goals
b. defined by leaders’ hopes and aspirations
c. a goal in and of itself
d. not an influence on leaders’ goals
29) Leaders achieve goals, and power is
a. defined by leaders’ hopes and aspirations
b. usually used by poor leaders
c. a means of achieving goals
d. a goal in and of itself
e. a strong influence on leaders’ goals
30) The most important aspect of power is probably that it_____.
a. is needed to get things done in an organization
b. is a function of dependency
c. tends to corrupt people
d. is counterproductive
e. involves control