1. Nelson and Staggers (authors of chapter 6) report, “The goal of (NI) is to improve the health of populations, communities, families, and individuals by optimizing information management and communication.” Provide examples of how NI helps to improve the health of individuals and each of these groups.
2. Imagine that Nursing Intervention Classification (NIC) was implemented in the practice setting tomorrow. How would the use of such a system help nurses to define and document nursing practice? What are the advantages to such a system? What are the disadvantages/barriers to such a system? Who among your colleagues would embrace such a system? Who might be resistant? Why?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a single shared consensus-driven model of terminology use?
– McGonigle, D. & Mastrian, K. G. (2015). Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge (3rd ed.). Burlington: Jones & Bartlett Learning: Chapter 6
– Visit the Center for Nursing Classification and Clinical Effectiveness at: http://www.nursing.uiowa.edu/center-for-nursing-classification-and-clinical-effectiveness