DISASTER ASSIGNMENT – Due on Saturday August 13 (Week 10)
How do sociologists and other researchers study disasters? This assignment will provide you with an
opportunity to answer this and other questions about disaster research.
Follow the steps below:
1. Go to the Natural Hazards Center website on the World Wide Web: http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/
2. Familiarize yourself with the mission of the center by clicking “About Us”
3. Click on “Research” tab (top of website)
4. Select “Quick Response Grant Program” and learn about how social scientists can participate in
disaster research at the center.
5. Go to “Quick Response Research Reports” and familiarize yourself with some of the research studies
that have been conducted and written about by social scientists affiliated with the Natural Hazards Center.
6. Choose two reports that addresses subjects that interest you
7. Answer the following questions:
a) What research question (or problem) did the researcher choose to study?
b) What research methods (data gathering tools) did the researcher use to collect data?
c) What were the findings of the research?
d) How significant were the findings in contributing to our understanding of disasters?