I’m studying for my Writing class and need an explanation.
write an argumentative essay
The argumentative essay is a genre of writing that requires the student to investigate a topic; collect, generate, and evaluate evidence; and establish a position on the topic in a concise manner.
Please note: Some confusion may occur between the argumentative essay and the expository essay. These two genres are similar, but the argumentative essay differs from the expository essay in the amount of pre-writing (invention) and research involved. The argumentative essay is commonly assigned as a capstone or final project in first year writing or advanced composition courses and involves lengthy, detailed research. Expository essays involve less research and are shorter in length. Expository essays are often used for in-class writing exercises or tests, such as the GED or GRE.
Argumentative essay assignments generally call for extensive research of literature or previously published material. Argumentative assignments may also require empirical research where the student collects data through interviews, surveys, observations, or experiments. Detailed research allows the student to learn about the topic and to understand different points of view regarding the topic so that she/he may choose a position and support it with the evidence collected during research. Regardless of the amount or type of research involved, argumentative essays must establish a clear thesis and follow sound reasoning.
The structure of the argumentative essay is held together by the following.
- A clear, concise, and defined thesis statement that occurs in the first paragraph of the essay.
In the first paragraph of an argument essay, students should set the context by reviewing the topic in a general way. Next the author should explain why the topic is important (exigence) or why readers should care about the issue. Lastly, students should present the thesis statement. It is essential that this thesis statement be appropriately narrowed to follow the guidelines set forth in the assignment. If the student does not master this portion of the essay, it will be quite difficult to compose an effective or persuasive essay.
- Clear and logical transitions between the introduction, body, and conclusion.
Transitions are the mortar that holds the foundation of the essay together. Without logical progression of thought, the reader is unable to follow the essay’s argument, and the structure will collapse. Transitions should wrap up the idea from the previous section and introduce the idea that is to follow in the next section.
- Body paragraphs that include evidential support.
Each paragraph should be limited to the discussion of one general idea. This will allow for clarity and direction throughout the essay. In addition, such conciseness creates an ease of readability for one’s audience. It is important to note that each paragraph in the body of the essay must have some logical connection to the thesis statement in the opening paragraph. Some paragraphs will directly support the thesis statement with evidence collected during research. It is also important to explain how and why the evidence supports the thesis (warrant).
However, argumentative essays should also consider and explain differing points of view regarding the topic. Depending on the length of the assignment, students should dedicate one or two paragraphs of an argumentative essay to discussing conflicting opinions on the topic. Rather than explaining how these differing opinions are wrong outright, students should note how opinions that do not align with their thesis might not be well informed or how they might be out of date.
- Evidential support (whether factual, logical, statistical, or anecdotal).
The argumentative essay requires well-researched, accurate, detailed, and current information to support the thesis statement and consider other points of view. Some factual, logical, statistical, or anecdotal evidence should support the thesis. However, students must consider multiple points of view when collecting evidence. As noted in the paragraph above, a successful and well-rounded argumentative essay will also discuss opinions not aligning with the thesis. It is unethical to exclude evidence that may not support the thesis. It is not the student’s job to point out how other positions are wrong outright, but rather to explain how other positions may not be well informed or up to date on the topic.
- A conclusion that does not simply restate the thesis, but readdresses it in light of the evidence provided.
It is at this point of the essay that students may begin to struggle. This is the portion of the essay that will leave the most immediate impression on the mind of the reader. Therefore, it must be effective and logical. Do not introduce any new information into the conclusion; rather, synthesize the information presented in the body of the essay. Restate why the topic is important, review the main points, and review your thesis. You may also want to include a short discussion of more research that should be completed in light of your work
at least 650 words
An argumentative essay is a type of essay that involves presenting both sides of an issue. You can either present both sides equally or choose to present one side more persuasively than the other. When writing an argumentative essay, the writer’s objective is to convince you to support their point of view on a particular topic. To write an outstanding essay, you have to know what has already been said on your topic of choice. The only way to do this is through research. Therefore the writer’s views, argument, and ideas are not only based on reasoning but also and primarily on them on existing evidence—these essays are very common in high school, college and university. Sometimes, you will be given the topic to argue, and other times you will choose the topic for yourself. Despite this, the underlying commonality is that you will decide your argument.
The basic components of an argumentative essay include:
- Claim: A claim refers to the main argument of your essay. Claims should make a stand, shed light on your argument’s pertinence, be debatable, be specific, and convey your main idea. There are five types of claims:
- Fact: Whether something is true or not.
- Definition: The standard definition of your argument and your interpretation.
- Value: The significance of your argument.
- Cause and effect: What causes your argument and the subsequent effects?
- Policy: Why the readers should be concerned with your essay’s arguments.
- Supporting points: These comprise the reasons why your readers should accept your argument claims.
- Evidence: These are the materials you are basing your supporting points on.
Types of arguments
There are three types of arguments that you can use to shape your essay. You can use one or a combination to form a remarkable argumentative essay.
- Classical/ Aristotelian: Here, you present your main argument, state what your opinion is, and convince the reader why yours is the right outlook. It is useful when the audience does not possess an opinion or enough information on a topic.
- Rogerian: You present a problem, acknowledge that other points of view exist, state your stance, and explain why yours is the most favourable to the readers. This type is usually the best for divisive topics.
- Toulmin: You present your claim, the reasons to support that claim, and then rationalize the reasons for that claim. Also useful for divisive topics.
If you are to choose a topic for yourself, you must consider these two things. Interest – are you interested in this topic? Selecting a topic that you are curious and excited about makes the entire writing process more comfortable and more enjoyable. Evidence – you may have a topic that you are interested in, but there is no sufficient evidence to back your arguments. Evidence means information found in books, journals, websites, magazines, encyclopedias, etc. Your personal opinion does not count as evidence. Write an Argumentative Essay
Argumentative essay structure
1. Introductory paragraph
This first paragraph of your essay should include the topic outline, relevant background information central to your argument, and the presented evidence. At the end of your first paragraph, quote your thesis statement. It is a specific, clear, and short statement that asserts your main argument in the essay. Your entire essay is based on explaining and justifying this statement.
With a thesis statement being one of the most critical parts of your essay, we will guide you on how to write one.
- Turn the topic into a question – by transforming your topic into a question, you will be able to come up with answers which you can then develop into your thesis statement.
- Highlight an argument and then refute it – introduce an idea that contrasts with your belief and then disprove it. This helps with the credibility of your statement because it used evidence.
- Outline your main points – briefly present your main points and how you will support them. This helps give the readers a clear picture of what your essay entails, and it also keeps you organized.
This is the central part of the essay. Usually comprised of three or more paragraphs, the body details the specific reasons why you support your claim, why readers should support or agree with your position, and evidence. The body is where you support your claims with examples, studies, research, statistics, and citations. Looking at the topic from different angles proves and disproves it in this section of the essay. Write an Argumentative Essay
In a paragraph, reinterpret your thesis statement to the readers based on your presented evidence and summarize some of the relevant arguments you have made. DO NOT introduce any new information in this section. You can appeal to the reader’s emotions by stating a personal anecdote or how your argument affects them directly. Write an Argumentative Essay
Students experience challenges writing these essays. Argumentative essay writing requires analytical, research, writing, and critical thinking skills. Not all students may be fortunate enough to have all these. Other students simply do not have the time. If you are one of these students, do not panic; our writing essays services are here to help you. We offer custom essay writing services to students in the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia, and all other countries and regions. When you buy essay papers from us, you are guaranteed professionalism, quality, and originality. Our experts will write you a highly customized essay that will score you high marks. Write an Argumentative Essay. These experts include researchers, professional paper writers, and proofreaders.
Be assured of getting your essays in time when you order them. We value your time, and we know how much deadlines mean to you. Our coursework writing service is primarily for students, which is reflected in our reasonable and low prices. Customer satisfaction is our number one priority. In the rare occurrence that something is wrong with your custom essay, we will revise it for free an unlimited number of times until you are fulfilled. You can reach us any time via text, email, or call any day. Get an argumentative essay online here!
What Customers Say?
Unlike other writing essays services, we do not copy other people’s work and present it as your own. All custom essays are written from scratch and go through a rigorous antiplagiarism checks to ensure originality, authenticity and quality.
Order with us today for the best services at the best prices!
Fast and On-time Delivery
Study Sage takes pride in punctuality and considers deadlines as an ultimatum. You won't have to make excuses for missing deadlines ever again! Get Help with Paper Writing, All Anonymously, Affordable prices. 24/7 support. Instant essay writer help.
Each paper is composed of scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in. Get Help with Paper Writing, All Anonymously, Affordable prices. 24/7 support. Instant essay writer help.
Our Get Help with Paper Writing Service knows the significance of assistance in the time of need, providing round the clock support by an informative team for solutions to your queries. Get Help with Paper Writing, All Anonymously, Affordable prices. 24/7 support. Instant essay writer help.
How to Order?
- Place an order with detailed requirements
- We assign a specialist to complete it for you
- Communicate and monitor the progress
- Receive your well-written academic paper
No topic is too hard for us; our essay writers are highly skilled, experienced and well educated to handle anything you throw their way. They hold advanced degrees in different fields from top universities all over the world. You are also guaranteed of free and unlimited revisions if anything is amiss with your presentation.
Professional business writing help is at your disposal! We come in handy to offer assistance with business essays of any level.
Are you looking for help with your business papers and essay? Our private essay writers are ready and happy to do one that will surpass your expectations.
Any marketing and finance student can significantly benefit from receiving help for their business essays. Our private essay writers ensure to create a custom written paper that helps students to achieve academic milestones. They ensure that they satisfy all your educational needs. Hence, no matter the difficulty of the essay, they will get it done according to your demands!
What type of business essays can you buy?
There is no limitation to the kind of writing we can produce! You can ask our private essay writers for any business essay, research paper, and on absolutely any topic and they will deliver.
You see, our private essay writers are many and specialize in various business subdivisions! Hence you are assured of getting professional help at whatever time you need it!
Why should you choose us?
- Expertise; we are aware that writing is not a joke! Different people are good at numerous things but writing. If you are struggling with your business essays, our private essay writers are well skilled in writing, and they will create a paper that will positively impact your grades. We do not disappoint!
- Strict on deadline; do you need to submit your business essay in only 6 hours? You need to hire our private essay writers and beat that deadline. Our experts will work on that paper and deliver it on time. You do not have to lose marks due to late submission or even fail to graduate when we have experts in this field that can help you beat the tight deadline.
- Affordability; our prices are very reasonable. You will discover that we do not charge exorbitantly. Our objective is to satisfy your needs! We build long-term relationships with our clients because we aim to improve their grades.
Get help from our private essay writers and receive value for your money. Choose us, and you will not regret it!