This is a Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) assignment.
The purpose of this assignment is to assess leadership styles, traits, and practices as a nursing professional, establish the importance of effective interprofessional communication as a leader in nursing, and to explore the role of servant leadership in nursing practice.
Read the study materials on leadership and complete the topic quiz activities to better understand your leadership qualities.
Upon completion, summarize and share with your group what you learned about your specific leadership qualities, so you can become familiar with how you are similar and different from your peers when it comes to being a leader.
As a group, review the study materials related to servant leadership. Using what you have learned about the tenets of servant leadership and traits and practices of successful leaders, create a 10-12 slide PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes. Add an additional slide for references at the end of your presentation.
Include the following in your presentation:
Each group member: Create a slide that summarizes your leadership style, traits, and practices. (SERVANT LEADERSHIP) Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) LEADERSHIP STYLES AND NURSING
Compare the personal leadership styles of your group members, including commonalities between-group members\’ strengths and weaknesses.
Explain why it is important for nursing professionals to be aware of their personal leadership style, traits, and practices.
Discuss what leadership traits and styles are necessary to be an effective communicator. Explain the importance of leaders adapting communication approaches when working interprofessionally (across ancillary departments, vendors, community members). Leadership styles traits and practices as a nursing professional
Discuss how nursing professionals can benefit from integrating the tenets of servant leadership to empower and influence others as they lead.
Discuss how leaders who practice servant leadership and have a strong understanding of their personal leadership traits can successfully lead others and navigate the unique challenges that are part of nursing and health care. Provide two examples that illustrate your main ideas. Leadership styles traits and practices as a nursing professional
You are required to cite to a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursing practice.
Refer to the resource, \”Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations,\” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance. Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) LEADERSHIP STYLES AND NURSING
|CLC – LEADERSHIP STYLES AND NURSING|
- Motivates employees to take ownership
- Mobilizes people to get work done
- Develops excellent rapport
- Clear communication
- Promotes overall vision and mission of the organization to team
- Provides healthy environment for staffs
- Improves staff satisfaction, patient satisfaction and staff retention
LEADERSHIP TRAITS FOR EFFECTIVE
- Accountability – Its leader’s responsibility to step up for ownership
- Integrity – healthy leader possesses a healthy conscience.
- Expertise – knowledge, and attributes to perform successfully
- Empathize – it is a powerful component of a healthy organizational culture
- Transparency – Willingness to be open
DEMOCRATIC LEADERSHIP STYLE.
- Democratic leadership entails including all members in the decision-making process
- When you lead a team with a democratic leadership style, you allow others to participate in debates, voice their opinions, and engage in open conversations.
- Democratic leaders encourage thoughts to circulate openly while maintaining power and direction.
- According to Larry spears and Robert Greenleaf, servant leadership is described as leadership motivated by a desire to serve instead of lead. Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) LEADERSHIP STYLES AND NURSING
- Helping others comes before leading them, according to this description.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SERVANT LEADERSHIP
- The desire of a leader to listen to the followers is one of the distinguishing characteristics of servant leadership.
- Listening, rather than communicating, is more critical to servant leaders
- They then consider how they would support the followers in reaching their total capacity at work.
BENEFITS OF INTEGRATING TENETS OF
- Those in positions of leadership should think about the servant leadership model.
- It encourages nurses to strive for greater heights in the area of nursing.
- To inspire workers, servant leaders focus on persuasion rather than power and authority.
- Vision and articulation
- Sensitive to employees’ needs
- Sensitive to the environment
- Unconventional behavior
- Associated with high-level of satisfaction and performance among employees
- Ideological components, highly influential in times of crisis
- Charismatic leadership traits
- Role modelling
- Image building
- Showing confidence
- Goal articulation
- Arouse motives
HOW SERVANT LEADERS CAN LEAD OTHERS
TO ADDRESS UNIQUE HEALTHCARE CHALLENGES
- Servant leaders are all about others.
- Those who understand their personal leadership traits can effectively empower health care teams to address emerging issues and challenges.
- Servant leadership traits include:
- Active listening
SERVANT LEADERSHIP STRATEGIES- Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) LEADERSHIP STYLES AND NURSING
- There are different strategies servant leaders can utilize to lead others into addressing current and emerging health challenges.
- Servant leaders at the workplace can:
- Lead by example
- Cultivate trust
- Create a collaborative environment
- Arouse forward thinking
- Cultivate accountability
- Facilitate continuous improvement
REFERENCES. Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) LEADERSHIP STYLES AND NURSING
- Al Khajeh, E. H. (2018). Impact of leadership styles on organizational performance. Journal of Human Resources Management Research, 2018, 1-10.
- Ingram, O. C. (2016). Servant leadership as a leadership model. Journal of Management Science and Business Intelligence, 1(1), 21-26.
- A (2020), 5 leadership Styles in Nursing. Retrieved from https://www.relias.com/blog/5leadership-styles-in-nursing
- D (2021), Five Traits of Effective Leadership; A Guide for Communication Professional. Retrieved from https://cla.purdue.edu/academic/communication/graduate/online/fivetraits-of-effective-leadership-for-communication-professionals.html
- Veiss, S. D. (2016). Charismatic, Transformational, and Servant Leadership in the United States, Mexico, and Croatia. International Journal of Business and Social Research, 6(12), 25-34.
- Cottey, L., & McKimm, J. (2019). Putting service back into health care through servant leadership. British Journal of Hospital Medicine, 80(4), 220-224.
- Seto, S., & Sarros, J. C. (2016). Servant Leadership Influence on Trust and Quality Relationship in Organizational Settings. International Leadership Journal, 8(3).