This article covers over 150 interesting history research paper topics ranging from different centuries to different superpower countries and other different contexts. Go through the entire list to find a topic that best fits your interests.
History is one of the most important subjects in a school, college, and university curriculum. Studying past events, people develop a better understanding of the processes that take place in the world so that they can build a bright future.
There is a saying that history repeats itself; so we can use this to our advantage by tracing cultural and economic patterns and learning from past mistakes. Such an approach will allow us to make more reasonable decisions and live a better life.
Every intelligent person should know how our world reached the current development stage and how wars, tragedies, and other misfortunes could have been avoided if certain circumstances were different. Working on interesting history research paper topics could give you answers to these questions.
History also allows students to get acquainted with the culture and traditions of other nations, find out why specific laws are established, as well as discover the roots of social movements.
For example, studying the slavery period, you will understand why there are so many human rights organizations nowadays. In addition, you will be able to develop your critical analysis skills as each historian interprets events differently, so you have an opportunity to look at one event from different perspectives.
That is why there are so many controversial history research paper topics for college students. In this case, your task is to uncover the truth in the informational flow and offer your readers an idea supported by convincing arguments.
What Is a History Research Paper?
Research paper in History is devoted to analyzing the primary and secondary sources relevant to the historical period or events you will be reviewing. One of the main tasks is to create an argumentative thesis statement for your paper and do in-depth research.
Such a job is similar to writing any other research paper. The main difference is that the topic of your choice needs to fall under the History subject.
How to Use History Research Topics?
Specifically, you might face challenges in choosing your research path as you might want to highlight your research skills and knowledge.
Firstly, a subject might interest you because the readers will enjoy responding to the writer’s feelings.
Secondly, you might also want to choose a narrow topic, for instant, it’s not advisable to select Ancient Rome in general. Instead, you might choose an emperor from that period and discuss its educational, economic, and religious aspects.
Thirdly, you might hold a comparison between the social and political systems of various countries. Also, you might consider describing a battle precisely and concisely.
Which Research Topic is Considered Good?
Defining good history research topic may be challenging when approached without prior outline and topic analysis by novice college students. It makes sense when working with large history projects that involve discussion and arguments.
Once applicable topic is found, it should include strong thesis statement or an argument that reveals author’s intention and main idea. Remember that you can always use our thesis statement generator for research paper or turn directly to one of our writing experts when unsure about what kind of an argument should be made in relation to chosen subject.
With an endless amount of diverse topics existing, good idea search should start with the following:
- Topic is relevant, has clear statement
- Vague arguments are avoided, thus allowing author to focus on specific event or issues
- Prior literature along with facts are checked and supported by sources
- Chronology is included if historic events are mentioned
- Outline with thesis statement & structure
- One idea – one paragraph rule helps define key ideas, connecting them to thesis statement
Interesting History Research Paper Topics
- What were the three main causes of the Boer War?
- How were cathedrals built?
- What is the Gutenberg Bible?
- What was the purpose of Morality plays in Medieval England?
- How did Italian Renaissance painters benefit from the art patronage system?
- What was the impact of the slave trade on the European economy?
- How did the guillotine influence the French Revolution?
- Who was Germany’s most influential composer?
- How did the feudal system operate?
- Royalty and the concept of Divine Right rulership in 17th century Italy.
- How was the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory an example of social injustice?
- How did the Mormons influence the settling of the America west?
- Mississippi riverboat/showboat culture
- The origins of automobile drag racing in the United States
- How and why were National Parks created?
- Which US state has the most disputed borders?
- How did the highway system change American culture?
- The creation and maintenance of New York’s Central Park
- Traveling circuses in the Midwest United States, 1850-1950
- The role of lighthouses in Great Lakes maritime history
- The top three battles in the Korean War
- How did the Jaffa Riots begin in the British Mandate of Palestine, 1921?
- What was the Battle of Hochst and how did it influence the Thirty Years’ War?
- How did the Siege of Turin take a key position in two separate wars?
- The conditions of life for soldiers in the First Crusade
- What was the role of the Shogun in Japanese history?
- How did Buddhism alter the Chinese Empire?
- How did the Byzantine Empire succeed?
- What is the organization of the Hindu gods?
- How, when, and where did the Silk Road operate?
- Roman gladiators: life, lifestyle, and living conditions
- Child Emperors of Rome
- Who was the most influential Egyptian Pharoah?
- The building of the Sphinx
- What was the Code of Hammurabi?
- How were ziggurats used in ancient Mesopotamia?
- Which cultures originated in the Nile valley?
- The origin of African tribal culture
- The world of the Ancient Maya
- The story of Carthage
History Research Topics based on Ancient and Early Europe
- Conditions for Slaves During the Building of the Great Pyramid
- Three Events from the First Greek Olympiad
- How, Where, and When Rome was Founded
- The Battle of Marathon: How the Greeks Defeated Persia
- How Plato and Aristotle Collaborated to Reinvent Philosophy
- Alexander’s Conquest of Egypt: Strategies for Victory
- The Great Wall of China: Construction Plans and Implementation
- Julius Ceasar’s Most Successful Attacks on Great Britain
- The Huns’ First Invasion of Europe
- Mohammed: From Mecca to Medina
Good History Research Paper Topics by Century
11th–16th Century History Research Topics
- The Norman invasion of England
- Victory of William the Conquerer over the English King Harold II at Hastings.
- The Invention of Gunpowder: Roger Bacon’s Legacy
- Events that Started the Hundred Years War
- England and the Black Death
- The Turkish Capture of Constantinople
- Europe’s Artistic Renaissance: Painters and Sculptors
- Vasco de Gama and the Sea Route to India
- The Defeat of the Spanish Armada
- Construction and Architecture of Monasteries
17th–18th Century History Research Topics
- The Establishment British East India Company
- The Execution of Charles I: Causes and Effects
- Why Monarchy was Restored in England
- The Great Plague of England: Death Returns
- England’s Glorious Revolution
- Significance of The Battle of Blenheim
- Three Reasons for the Union of England and Scotland
- Injustices Leading to the French Revolution
- Organization and Daily life in Convents
- City Walls and Defenses
19th Century History Research Topics
- Political and Social Effects of Nelson’s Death
- Physical Conditions at the Battle of Trafalagar
- Unexpected Events at the Battle of Waterloo
- Napolean’s life on St. Helena
- Key Features of The Reforms Bill
- Queen Victoria’s first Years on the Throne of England
- The Opening of the Suez Canal
- Roentgen’s Discovery of X-Rays
- The Inventions of Marconi
- Scientific Advances and Medical Practices
Good History Research Topics: 1900–1950
- An Overview of Japan’s War with Russia
- How Japan Defeated Russia
- The Discovery of the Theory of Relativity by Einstein
- The Chinese Revolution
- Why the Republic of China Was Established
- Events that Caused the Beginning of World War I
- The Russian Revolution: People and Places
- How the End of World War I was Accomplished
- The Signing of the Treaty of Versailles
- The Formation of the League of Nations
- How Turkey Became a Republic
- Why Hitler Became the Chancellor of Germany
- The First 20 Days of the Spanish Civil War
- World War II: The Beginnings
- How Russia was Invaded by Hitler
- Events After Pearl Harbor was Invaded by Japan
- The Establishment of UNO
- The Final Days of World War II in France
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Effects of the Atom Bomb
- President Roosevelt’s Life and Death
- Three Major Events in China’s Civil War
- How Burma and Ceylon Gained Independence
- How Indonesia Gained Independence
- The Communist Ascension to Power in China
- The Japanese Geisha: Her Role Japanese Culture
Good History Research Topics: 1950–1970
- General Eisenhower: Critical Actions of His Presidency
- Stalin’s Death and its Effect on the Political Landscape
- The Team that Conquered Mt. Everest for the First Time
- The Conditions of the Military Aid Pact between China and Pakistan
- Chou En-lai’s Visit to India
- Austria’s Struggle for Independence
- The Bandung Conference
- President Nasser and the Nationalization of the Suez Canal
- Britain Attacks Egypt: Why it Happened
- The Connections Between France and Israel
- Russia’s First Artificial Satellite
- The United Arab Republic (UAR): Egypt and Syria United
- How the Chinese captured Tibet
- The Dalai Lama’s Escape to India
- The Design and Creation of Sputnik by Russia
- France and the Explosion of an Atom Bomb Device
- The First Man in Space: Yuri Gagarin of the USSR
- The Signing of the Partial Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty
- The Establishment of Malaysia
- The Life and Career of Sir Winston Churchill
- Singapore as a Sovereign Independent Nation
- The Russian Aircraft that Landed on the Moon.
- China and the Hydrogen Bomb
- The Arab-Israel War
- The Closing of the Suez Canal
Good History Research Topics: 1970–1980
- The Birth of Bangladesh
- Pakistan and the Surrender of 93,000 Troops
- The Death of Khruschev
- President Z.A. Bhutto of Pakistan
- The Incarceration of Prime Minister Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- Bangladesh: Critical Events 1970-1980
- Nixon’s Auspicious Visit to China
- King Mahendra of Nepal
- The Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty
- The Fourth Arab-Israeli war
- The Algiers Summit
- The Assassination of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, President of Bangladesh
- The Assassination of King Faisal of Saudi Arabia
- The Reopening of the Suez Canal
- The Red Cross and the Surrender of the Cambodia Government
- The Life and Times of Chou-En Lai, Prime Miniter of China
- The Independence of the Seychelles
- Viking I Mars Landing
- Israeli-Egypt Agreement
- Vietnam’s attack on Cambodia
- Afghanistan’s Bloody Coup
- The Assassination of Mohammed Daoud
- Chinese aggression in Vietnam
- Cambodian rebels in Pnom Penh
- Margaret Thatcher, First Female Prime Minister of Britain
1. What are some good historical topics to write about?
- Civil War.
- Cold War.
- Great Depression.
- Inventions & Science.
- Mexican-American War.
- Natural Disasters & Environment.
- Red Scare.
Examples include: the economy, education, politics, social life, etc.
- World History. …
- United States History. …
- European History. …
- Asian History.
3. What are good history research questions?
Asking Who, What, Where, When, Why, & How Questions
- “ask how or why an event happened (causation, explanation)”
- “ask what the consequences were of a particular event”
- “discuss the intellectual origins of a particular idea”
- “ask what the cultural context of an event was”;