In this Case Assignment, we will begin exploring empirical research in its basic form. The purpose of this assignment is to get you acquainted with what empirical research is and what it looks like.
An empirical research article is an article which reports research based on actual observations or experiments. The researcher may have used quantitative methods, which generate numerical data and seek to establish causal relationships between two or more variables, or the researcher may have used qualitative methods, which objectively and critically analyze behaviors, beliefs, feelings, or values with few or no numerical data available for analysis.
You will also discuss the process of identification of a research topic and use this knowledge to practice this important task. This module will give you the opportunity to explore potential topics of study.
After reading the required background material and finding at least two other resources on your own, write a paper discussing the topic:
Selecting a Suitable Topic in Business Research
In your paper, you should answer the following questions using your own evaluation and critical thinking.
- What is empirical research and how it is related to applied research?
- Describe two topics of your interest and using the information of the book chapter, justify why those two topics could be suitable for your own research. (Remember that this is just an exercise and you do not have to use these topics for your DSP at the end of the program).
- Using the material from Bhattacherjee (2012), describe in detail the sources you are using to identify these two topics and also the criteria for topic selection that you are considering.
Length: The written component of this assignment should be 5-7 pages long (double-spaced) without counting the cover page and reference page.
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to the questions.
Grammar and Spelling: While no points are deducted for minor errors, assignments are expected to adhere to standard guidelines of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence syntax. Points may be deducted if grammar and spelling impact clarity. We encourage you to use tools such as grammarly.com and proofread your paper before submission.
As you complete your assignment, make sure you do the following:
- Answer the assignment questions directly.
- Stay focused on the precise assignment questions. Do not go off on tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background materials.
- Use evidence from your readings to justify your conclusions.
- Be sure to cite at least five credible resources.
- Make sure to reference your sources of information with both a bibliography and in-text citations. See the Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality Academic Paper, including pages 11-14 on in-text citations. Another resource is the â€œWriting Style Guide,â€ which is found under â€œMy Resourcesâ€ in the TLC Portal.
Bhattacherjee, A. (2012). Introduction to Research, Social Science Research: Principles, Methods, and Practices (pp. 1-7). USF Tampa Bay Open Access Textbooks Collection. Book 3. http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/oa_textbooks/3.
Rabianski, J. S. (2003). Primary and secondary data: Concepts, concerns, errors, and issues. The Appraisal Journal, 71(1), 43-55. Retrieved from the Trident Online Library.
Lunenburg, F. C., & Irby, B. J. (2008;2014;2007;). Writing a successful thesis or dissertation: Tips and strategies for students in the social and behavioral sciences (1st ed.). US: Corwin Press. Chapter 1:Selecting a Suitable Topic. (p. 2-15). Retrieved from the Trident Online Library.
Blackstone, A. (2012). Paradigms, Theories, and How They Shape a Researcherâ€™s Approach, Principles of Sociological Inquiry (pp. 15-18) http://www.saylor.org/books.
Trochim W. and J. Donnelly (2008). Foundations (Philosophy of Research-Structure of Research), The Research Knowledge Base (3 ed.). Mason, Ohio: Cengage Learning. http://www.socialresearchmethods.net/kb/intres.php.
Sacramento State University Library (2017.) APA Style Guide: Table 6.1 Basic Citation Styles. http://csus.libguides.com/content.php?pid=134045&s…
California State University, Chico, Merriam Library (2011). What is a scholarly article? Retrieved from http://www.csuchico.edu/lins/handouts/scholarly.pd…