This article covers more than 60 examples of top argumentative essay topics based on different levels of education and contexts such as politics. Read the entire article to find out more and gain excellent knowledge on writing argumentative essays.
Argumentative essays are a means of proving an argument valid, hence turning theory into fact. It is often visible if the writer has spent time developing their argument. Experienced writers build their own set of principles to maximize clear delivery.
The validity of any argument relies on its source material. Simple issues may need a more straightforward approach. When you’re tackling controversial matters, it’s best to use plenty of sources for backup.
An argumentative essay is a type of academic paper that introduces arguments (claims) about both sides of a particular topic. Both teams could be balanced, or one may be dominating. The tone of the paper depends on the writer’s position towards the observed issue.
The primary function of an argumentative paper is to introduce a case to the readers in a convincing manner trying to change their opinions if they have a position different from the writer’s. The idea is to show the full picture.
You can also be interested in Interesting Opinion Essay Topics for Argumentative Essays
Models of Argumentative Essay Writing
This paper will need an intro with a thesis statement followed by background information supported by the evidence collected from sources. A writer will have to list the reasons to support the central argument & rebuttals.
Unlike the previous one, this model of argumentative paper requires weighing both alternatives, listing the pros & cons of each, and providing a piece of advice after in-depth evaluation.
The writer has to introduce the issue, offer a personal solution, and make an attempt to persuade the audience that this particular solution is the correct one. The idea is to make the readers care about the suggested topic.
How to Pick Out the Good Argumentative Essay Topics
Finding good topics for an argumentative essay isn’t finding a needle in a haystack – as long as you take care to follow a few core principles.
Many controversial argumentative essay topics are prone to prejudice. They often have an unconscious aim to prove already assumed facts. When writing an essay, it is always crucial to understand both sides. Try picking a neutral topic to which you are mostly indifferent.
The basic tips to follow while selecting the ideas to discuss in your work are:
Think about issues of your interest. Make sure that you possess in-depth knowledge of the chosen theme. Can you express your opinion about it?
Follow the recent trends. Type some keywords in the search field of Google Trends to find out what issues related to your subject are actively discussed.
Check access to primary & secondary sources. Surf the web to decide whether you can obtain enough credible sources to use in your piece.
Avoid themes with a broad/general focus. The number of words or pages limits the research paper, so make the topic narrow & specific.
Stay away from the emotionally-charged subjects. Argumentative writing is about staying calm and sober with judgments.
Consider the target audience. Think about people that you plan to reach. Would they accept your point of view or would it result in a debate?
Brainstorm the final list of ideas. Discuss the final list of the possible topics. Pick the idea the majority will vote for.
Take a risk. Selecting a debatable issue has certain risks, but if a writer proves a personal position, it will result in the highest grade!
Take your experience into account. How well do you know the topic? Did you have relevant experience to share?
You can also check out Debate Topics About Social Media
What Makes a Good Argumentative Essay?
To write an effective argumentative essay, you need to know what a good one looks like. In addition to a solid structure, you’ll need an argument, a strong thesis, and solid research.
Unlike other forms of essays, you are trying to convince your reader of something. You’re not just teaching them a concept or demonstrating an idea—you’re constructing an argument to change the readers’ thinking.
You’ll need to develop a good argument, which encompasses not just your main point, but also all the pieces that make it up.
Think beyond what you are saying and include how you’re saying it. How will you take an idea and turn it into a complex and well-thought-out argument that is capable of changing somebody’s mind?
A Strong Thesis
The thesis is the core of your argument. What specific message are you trying to get across? State that message in one sentence, and that will be your thesis.
This is the foundation on which your essay is built, so it needs to be strong and well-reasoned. You need to be able to expand on it with facts and sources, not just feelings.
A good argumentative essay isn’t just based on your individual thoughts, but research. That can be citing sources and other arguments or it can mean direct research in the field, depending on what your argument is and the context in which you are arguing it.
Be prepared to back your thesis up with reporting from scientific journals, newspapers, or other forms of research. Having well-researched sources will help support your argument better than hearsay or assumptions.
If you can’t find enough research to back up your point, it’s worth reconsidering your thesis or conducting original research, if possible.
You can also be interested in How to Write an Argumentative Essay
Top Argumentative Essay Topic Ideas Based on Different Context
Argumentative Essay Topics for College Students
- Should drinking be banned?
- Should the sale of tobacco and alcohol be illegalized?
- Should death penalties be legalized in all parts of the world?
- Is smoking around children immoral?
- Is there justice for all in our country?
- Do external factors influence the decision-making of the government?
- Is the decision-making of the government influenced by external factors?
- Should energy boosters be banned?
- Should there be an age defined to vote?
- What is the perfect age to start drinking?
- Why should court proceedings be shown on television?
Argumentative Essay Topics for University Students
- Not every house is a home.
- Failed marriages result in failed generations.
- Toxic behaviors need to be called out.
- Peer pressure is causing more damage than benefits.
- Community colleges have a significant role in promoting higher education.
- Abusive marriages can destroy the mental health of children.
- Racial issues should be dealt with more seriousness in schools.
- Recycling should be encouraged and financed at every level.
- Mass media is highly biased.
- Helping others should be everyone’s objective in life.
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
- Are women equal to men?
- Should religious studies be made part of the school syllabus?
- What is your point of view on mercy killing? Is it ethical?
- Is it moral to call someone ugly?
- Should applicants be judged on their appearance?
- Should same-sex marriages be legalized in Muslim countries?
- Should transgenders be given opportunities to study in elite institutions?
- Is the #BlackLivesMatter movement promoting inclusiveness?
- Should abortions be made illegal?
- Should illegal immigrants be treated equally as legal citizens?
Argumentative Essay Hot Topics
- Should abortion be banned?
- Should animal testing be stopped?
- Is the #metoo movement a good thing?
- Should manufacturers be responsible for the effects of the chemicals used in the creation of their products?
- Should illegal immigrants be granted residency?
- Is there a fake news problem? What is the source?
- Does “big pharma” have people’s best interests at heart?
- Is the death penalty a just punishment?
- Are there moral concerns that should make genetic cloning illegal?
- What should people do to stop human trafficking?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Health
- Diets of vegetarians elongate their lifespans
- Dangers of being a gay couple
- Is Mental health clinics in American high schools helping students?
- Smart devices are deteriorating human health
- Political corruption affects the health care decision of patients in European countries
- Excessive water in the body can harm the body system
- Female circumcision: Is it healthy or harmful?
- Should people leave their country and go to other countries for medical treatment?
- The cost of most drugs is too high
- Things to do daily to keep yourself healthy and reduce appointments with doctors
- Could alcohol usage be wholly restricted in high Schools?
- Is the government really exploiting people in need of health care?
- The herbal extract and chemical compounds used to cure cancer are not effective enough
- The Real costs of medicine compared to the cost in health care centers
- Salary of doctors should never be the highest in the world
- Technology plays more positive roles than negative roles in health care systems
- Doctors vs. nurses: Who does the real work?
- Law enforcement on health care systems plays only little role in maintaining public health
- Oversleeping causes no harm to the body system
- Human beings endanger their lives through the things they do daily
- Patients that go into a coma for several months still sometimes dream in a coma state
- The deadliest diseases in the world are less focused on
- The improvements and importance of AI in medical systems
- Cosmetic surgeries don’t need to be insured
- Do the governments have some roles in providing premium health care services
- Some People finds it difficult to go to hospitals not because of the cost but because of fear
- Diets can make people look younger even in their late 70s
- Doctors are not financially compensated for what they do
- Alcohol consumption is responsible for several health issues that senior adults have
- Should proper health care services to individual be considered as a Human Right?
- Many parents ignorantly endanger the lives of their unborn children
- Exposure to radiation originating from communication devices can cause cancer
- Artificial internal organs are more reliable than the natural internal organs
- Cancer is hereditary
- Traditional Chinese Medicines are more effective than Western medicines
- Acupuncture can solve more health problems than radiotherapy
- There is a link between poor he and poverty
- Could diabetes have a cure soon?
- Should homeless people enjoy free health care?
- Unconventional forms of medicine as part of the national healthcare system: a proper or an improper thing?
Argumentative Essay Topics on Social Media
- Why is Twitter popular among celebrities?
- Advantages and disadvantages of Facebook
- Why do professionals use LinkedIn?
- Is social media aiding cyberbullying?
- The regulation of social media to produce a balanced society
- The great things we owe to social media
- Is social media used for mass surveillance?
- Is social media corrupting the idea of democracy?
- Do social media promote radicalization?
- Are social media sites productivity killers?
- The effect of fake identities on social media
- The adverse impact of social media we should fight against
- Is social media promoting a healthy or unhealthy lifestyle?
- Can the world survive without social media?
- Do social media create isolation?
- Is social media can be used as a weapon to defame a person?
- Is social media platforms are responsible for killing the productivity level of people?
- How social media influence local craftsmanship to get a national and international platform?
- Impact of social media in promoting creativity among people
- Are people gets entrepreneurial inspirations from social media platforms?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Politics
- Which political party has the right ideology?
- What should be done to reduce income inequality?
- Is paying down the national deficit the most important issue of our time?
- Does the Federal Reserve need to stop printing money because it’s creating an unsustainable bubble?
- Is capitalism the best economic system?
- Is socialism the best economic system?
- Is America ready for a female president?
- Should an elected leader represent the interests of his or her own political party, or is it better to try to compromise?
- What recent political decision has created the most change?
- Does campaign finance reform work?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Society & Culture
- When will LGTBQ individuals experience equality?
- Is healthcare a basic human right?
- Should TV censor explicit content because programmers have an obligation to produce family-friendly programming?
- Social media simultaneously draws us together and pulls us apart; does the good outweigh the bad or vice versa?
- Is a gap year precious time for exploration and reflection or a year-long vacation?
- Some states have begun to decriminalize the possession of certain drugs like marijuana; is this a good idea?
- Equality is part of lawmaking, but does it work in practice?
- Should people have the right to own a gun?
- In cases of terminal illness, should a patient be able to request medically-assisted suicide?
- Should smoking be illegal?
- What is the best way to encourage positive conversation about contentious issues?
You can also check out Opinion Ideas for Writing/Opinion Essay Topics
1. What are good argumentative topics 2022?
Argumentative Prompt Topics
- Technology & Social Media.
- College & Career.
- Mental & Physical Health.
- Race & Gender.
- Parenting & Childhood.
- Ethics & Morality.
- Government & Politics.
2. What are 3 good topics for an essay?
Some great ideas for your essay topic are:
- Your favorite childhood memory.
- Most recent travel experience.
- The death of a friend or relative that influenced you.
- The loss of a pet that changed your life.
- Your best friend and how you met.
- Your first time on a plane.
- The first book you read.
- The worst memory you have.