Your assessment should be written in an essay format with the above legal and
ethical issues discussed under headings or as a free-flowing essay. These issues
don’t need to be discussed in the order listed and can be done in a way that is
relevant to the Case Study. For example you ma y begin your essay discussing the
requirements for a valid consent and how Mrs Davis meets these before moving on
to say how this would then influence the practice of restraint before going on to the
other issues in the Case Study.
This essay should be at least 1, 000 words and up to a maximum of 1,500 words.
You need to support your work with references from appropriate sources including
your text books, journal articles and appropriate websites. Please reference your
essay using the APA (American Psycholog ical Association) system of referencing for
both ‘in text’ references and as a references list.
Your essay is not to be based on unsupported personal opinion.
• Discuss the legal concepts of consent, assault and battery
• Apply the principles of restraint including the criteria for legal restraint and
the consequences for the illegal restraint of a person
• Explain the concepts of negligence, duty of care and vicarious liability as
they apply to this Case Study
• Demonstrate how to suppo rt client dignity, rights and interests by acting as
an advocate for the patient and family in line with the EEN scope of practice
• Discuss correct legal documentation in nursing and what documents should
be completed for this Case Study
• Apply open disclosu re to this situation in relation to your role as an EEN and
the roles of other health care workers
• Apply ethical principles to nursing practice and interactions with patients,
relatives and other health care staff
• Identify, document and report any ethical issues that may arise in nursing
• Develop and implement strategies to resolve ethical issues with this Case
Study using a moral and ethical decision making model
• Apply the Code of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct as well as the
Enrolled Nurse Competency Standards to this Case Study