The purpose of the LAWS420 Course Project is to provide you with a practical view of the ethical dilemmas that you are likely to encounter as you pursue your chosen career path. Whether you become a health professional, an accountant, an attorney, a small business owner, or a software engineer, you will be faced with ethical questions, both large and small, on a regular basis. With this assignment, you have an opportunity to begin to consider what you will do when you are faced with these issues. This assignment is due in Week 6 and is to be submitted to the course.
Begin this assignment by selecting a profession, preferably one in which you currently work or one in which you plan to pursue in the future. If your career track is one that leads you to become an entrepreneur, a small business owner, or a manager in a large corporation, please include an explanation of that business in which you now work or anticipate working in the future.
If it is a profession, describe what makes it a profession (this would include required education, licensing, organizational membership, continuing education, etc.). Locate the licensing regulations and ethical codes and standards of conduct that apply to this profession. Determine how these are enforced for this profession.
If it is a business that is licensed by the government and/or regulated by a trade or business organization (whether mandatory or voluntary), describe the ethical standards that are found in these licensing regulations and business organizations. Feel free to use such groups as the Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce to discover ethical guidelines that might apply to your business.
As with the professions, locate the licensing regulations (if any), codes, and/or standards, and determine how these are enforced.
Provide a list of four current ethical dilemmas facing this career field. These can arise from changing technology, an ongoing and unresolved ethical dilemma, or one based on a controversial business or professional policy or practice. For each current ethical dilemma, provide a different article that addresses the dilemma. Use the DeVry University Library online at http://library.devry.edu (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.to research and select your articles (consider EBSCOhost or LEXIS-NEXIS). Do not use Google or other non-academic search engines or articles from sources such as Wikipedia.
The body of your paper will be divided into four sections; one section for each of the four ethical dilemmas. Each section will begin with one paragraph devoted to a description of one of the ethical dilemmas. After this description, explain how you would go about deciding what you should do, supporting your position using (1)one or more theories of ethics found in our textbook and (2) a minimum of one article from your research.
Be sure to review the Guidelines section for specifics about the length, style, and format requirements of this Course Project paper.
This assignment is worth 19% of your final grade.
Be sure to review this APA tutorial as proper citations are expected on all course work.
APA Guidelines for Citing Sources This video will give you a quick introduction to APA guidelines for citing sources. Highlights include purposes of citing, guidelines and examples of how to cite sources in text and at the end of a paper, and how to format a reference list or an entire paper.
· The body of the report must be 4–6 pages in length, 12-point font, and double spaced. The paper must include a cover page, table of contents, introduction, the body of the report, summary or conclusion, and works cited.
· Even though this is not a scientific-type writing assignment and is mostly creative in nature, references are still very important. You must have a minimum of one different academic source for each ethical dilemma. Any outside references must be cited (anonymous authors or web pages are not acceptable). These should be listed on the last page, titled references.
· APA format and citations are required, including appropriate in-text citations.
· All DeVry University policies are in effect, including the plagiarism policy.
· Papers are due during Week 6 of this course. (Please see the Syllabus for more information on assignment deadlines.)
· Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the Course Q & A Forum.
· This paper is worth 190 total points and will be graded on the quality of the research topic, the quality of paper information, use of APA citations, grammar, and sentence structure. (See the Grading Rubric in this Course Project description.)
Documentation and Formatting
All references are properly cited, and each ethical dilemma cites a different academic source.
Organization and Cohesiveness
The paper is easy to understand and flows in an organized fashion. Overall, the paper presents an understandable and easy-to-follow approach.
No or very few typographical errors, and no or very few grammatical errors.
All required information is included in the paper. Student provides substantial information to support each answer, and various sources are used to substantiate answers.
A quality paper will meet or exceed all of the above requirements.